Jun 7, 2008

One of the better comics-related events.



If you are in and around the New York Metro area this weekend, I strongly urge you to check out the MoCCA ArtFest over at the Puck Building.

I’ve gone myself twice now (out of I think the three that they have held) and it’s always a heart-lifting experience. MoCCA’s ArtFest is different from other cons because there is more balanced male to female ratio, markedly different from your usual con.

Also, the breadth of the work is well beyond the normal superhero focus of the big two with a lot of space being given over to people who self-publish. It’s nice to see a place where comics are being used as a medium and elevated as an art form. There are a series of panels as well so if you’re basking in the heat with nothing to do...

Be forewarned though, I kind of remember them not having A/C in years previous – something I hope changed for this year because otherwise it will be oppressively hot.

While you’re there though be sure to swing by and say hello to the always affable Keith Williams or check out the gregarious and gorgeous Molly Crabapple.

2 comments:

Elayne said...

The 7th floor was brutal yesterday. I'll be at the Lulu booth from 2 to 3 today if you want to swing by.

PJ said...

While I’d love to see you, I’m laying low, trying not to run the A/C and still manage to keep cool while I finish up a job. I’ll have to take a rain check although I can only imagine how bad it was!